close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

What options do I have for missing parts/package from a private seller?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by JIMMYRAY31B, Oct 12, 2014.

1. September 7th, 2014 I paid a seller via PayPal for two parts. The parts were advertised on another forum. They were packaged and shipped out on the 8th. Seller gave me a tracking number and the last it shows, they left New Jersey on September 19th, 2014. I live in England and they were sent to my APO(Military overseas address). It should not have taken this long. Reason I know this, is that I also bought some more parts from this same seller one week later and those parts came in the mail within that same week.

So, I'm assuming that the first package I paid for is either lost or misplaced. I contacted the seller about this lost package on October 2nd, 2014 to see if there is anything he could do on his end. He said to me that he would see what he can do, but I have not heard from him since then. I was going to make a claim on PayPal today, but when I tried, it stated that I can't dispute this purchase because it was not for any goods or services. How is this not considered goods?

Anyways, what are any other options I can do to get this resolved?

Is this all my problem for the possible missing package? Could the seller have faked a tracking number or not have sent the parts in anyway?

I'm kinda lost as what I can do about it. I live in England and am very limited on who I can contact at the USPS, especially by phone.

2. You didn't paypal gift did you???????
    That's the only way you can't dispute it.

3. If the package was sent via USPS to an APO, your local mail room should be able to see if it made it into country. It may take a few days to check, but if it is in the military mail system it should be able to be tracked as well.

4. Then thats why I can't dispute it. I've never realized that when gifting it. Lesson learned on that one when seller's ask to gift it.

I really don't think the seller did anything malicious on this. he even emailed me after he sent out the first package to tell me he owes me money because he quoted me to high for shipping originally. Thats why I bought a couple more parts from him a week later at a discount.

I haven't talked to anyone at our base post office yet. A route I will try when I'm next on base there. My hopes are low on this one though, as the workers there are known to be very incompetent.

5. Jimmy
    I really hope this works out for you. I've spent thousands with PP buying music gear. Never. Ever. Ever!!! pay PP Gift.
    But you know that now....
    Hope it works out.
    Not sure if there is anything your command can do....Might want to look into that.

6. With the tracking information showing the package left New Jersey, there was, in fact, a package shipped, so it's either in transit, or lost in transit. I'd think your recourse would be with the shipping company, not the seller or PayPal.

7. Yeah it's a lesson learned on that.

Command? Lol I have no command, wife is the one in the military now.

8. Oh....sorry man, I thought you was still in.
    It could still be in transit too....

9. Actually, lost shipments are the SOLE responsibility of the seller/shipper.

10. Was able to just get a response from the seller. He said he's actually making a claim with USPS and also has another claim going on with them right now. So sounds like he's actually doing something about it on his end.

11. ive had the same thing happen befor but with title being mailed to me and it got "lost" they paid for the replacement then 3-4 years later it showed up in my mail box >.>

12. This is one of the reasons why I won't sell stuff to people outside of the US. I won't even sell to Canada. The seller is basically at the mercy of the shipping company. Often the buyer gets impatient, when the seller really can't do anything other than provide a tracking number or file a claim.

I'm not saying that you are being impatient, but just wait it out a little. Stuff gets lost, or put on the wrong boat/truck/plane. Don't wait too long though, as you only have 45 days after making a payment to file a claim, if you didn't gift it. The seller will probably wind up getting money back if he was smart enough to use insurance.

A month is nothing in the fpo/ap system. We used to send stuff to ourselves at least a month before a deployment.

13. I just had this problem sending something across the country, 4 packages sent same day, all going greater than 1k miles away. The one that got lost wasnt even going the farthest, and was the biggest. How they forget to scan and sort huge boxes is crazy. It eventually showed, after trying to open a claim at the usps site.

14. I understand things can take a long time, but like I said in the original post I bought more parts from him a week later and those parts arrived within a week from purchasing them. Also, I'm at about 40 days now from the time I bought the first set of parts. I've even had '67 Mustang panels and parts for my Boss arrive within 7 days from his purchase date.

Update: a claim has been filed with USPS, so hopefully it will get sorted

15. Last item I sent over seas to a mil base took 2 months. .just a FYI granted it was a gas tank lol

16. I didn't see anyone mention it here, but if you paid with a Credit Card Through Paypal you can make a claim with them as most CC companies have some form of purchase insurance.

Just had a lost shipment myself luckily it was with a company and they replaced the item, after I signed an affidavit saying it was lost/stolen and once the item was back in stock it took about 7wks.

Good luck

17. As of right now the seller made a claim with USPS and forwarded all the information he has received from them. I suppose, now it's just a waiting game.