Why so many problems with the 2007 Yamaha R1

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by beansbaxter, Mar 29, 2007.

1. beansbaxter

beansbaxter
    Expand Collapse
    PNW Admin
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    ZX-10R
    I saw this on another forum, just sharing some info on the 2007 Yamaha R1:

--

I'm nobody special, just your average guy that saved his hard-earned money for a long time to purchase a new bike. The decision of which bike to buy didn't take me very long as I fell in love with the Yamaha 2007 YZF-R1 the first time I saw her. Just like you, I was thrilled when I drove her out of the lot. I was so excited I began reading everything I could about my new beautiful love and soon read about a known problem that Yamaha refuses to acknowledge. Please read the following carefully before making your decision.

ISSUE 1 - THE LAG

While I can't describe the "2nd gear glitch at 5500 RPM" in technical terms nor can I offer any solution (as the best in the business are still confused about this), I will try to describe to you how to recreate the problem.

Take your 2007 Yamaha R1 to a location where the speed limit is at least 50 MPH. Run the bike in second gear with the RPMs at 5500 which is around 48 MPH. Hold your bike steady at this RPM for a moment and then open the throttle pretty full. You will notice that the bike takes between 3-4 seconds before it will respond. Now try it again at 5000 and 6000 RPM. This time you should notice that immediately the bike takes off and the front wheel may even raise on you a little bit.

The video below (not of me riding but a professional) demonstrates this problem very clearly.

Click here to watch this video.

ISSUE 2 - REARSETS BREAKING

Within the past month a new and very dangerous issue has been discovered about the YZF-R1: the rearsets are breaking. Several riders have now experienced this and one even broke his foot as a result. This issue is EXTREMELY dangerous and I urge all of you to use tremendous caution when riding.

This bike is scaring me more every day....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ISSUE 3 - RANDOM STALLING

There seems to be an issue with the bike that while approaching a stop, if you pull the clutch in and blip the throttle the bike will stall. There is no clear description of how to duplicate the problem intentionally. However, the bike has stalled on a numerous riders thus far. I have yet to experience it personally, but I certainly plan on taking up this issue with Yami.

Source: www.yamaha2007r1.com

liv4thekill and robustus0007 like this.
  2. ktown929

ktown929
    Expand Collapse

i dont own one but that sucks :angry7:

3. HondaRider

HondaRider
    Expand Collapse

wow, that's definately not worth the money. if that word gets out, yama might have a bit of an issue to clean up and could keep them in the radar for a long time with futur bikes

4. beansbaxter

beansbaxter
    Expand Collapse
    PNW Admin
    Staff Member

I Ride:
    ZX-10R
    Yeah, and let me throw out there I did not post this to just brand bash or to talk bad about any one model. I am on over 60+ forums that I just lurk and read from time to time, and I came across this on another forum and just wanted to share it here, that was my only intention.

Ok, just wanted to say that...

5. ktown929

ktown929
    Expand Collapse

I think its just a good heads up to buyers if you ask me...its something i would want to know.

6. james1300

james1300
    Expand Collapse
    Track School Dazed

He should contact the NTSB, The National Transportation Saftey Board.
    They in turn will begin an investigation. These are SAFTEY issues.
    If enough complaints of a similar nature are filed, then action will occur.
    Thats what happened with the Throttle position sensor recall by Yamaha.
    100's of F.I. R1's and FJR1300's where effected. Yamaha got its arm
    twisted, and was told to FIX the problem. Which it has.

7. fastfoodfred

fastfoodfred
    Expand Collapse

The fueling issue, seems pretty petty to me. Everyone gets a PC III anyway, right? It is just a lean fuel issue. The rear sets are different. I bet they break when bouncing for a stand up wheelie, but it still shouldn't come apart.

8. Motophotog

Motophotog
    Expand Collapse

The rearset issue is because after 6K-13,000+rpms it pulls so hard, the energy has no where else to go!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

9. busatim

busatim
    Expand Collapse

It's Yamahopper, what do you expect? Honda quality??

10. Transported

Transported
    Expand Collapse

I Ride:
    2006 FZ1
    That lag is laughable. It could get ya killed. I thought my carbs had lag!

11. Motorcycle man

Motorcycle man
    Expand Collapse
    Telemark Rider

Made me laugh!

This is all especially rich coming on top of their RPM scandal with the R6 when it was introduced.

12. busatim

busatim
    Expand Collapse

I've had several Hondas , Kawasakis, and Suzooks, even a BMW once. However, I did buy my girlfriend a Yama 535 Virago. What a piece of shit unlike their WRs that kick ass.

13. ICEMANFTR

ICEMANFTR
    Expand Collapse
    berettagtz117

Damn that is no good! I really liked the New R1 too! Changed my mind on that..

14. srps13

srps13
    Expand Collapse

I'm sure they'll get this stuff figured out. If not the new gix 1k is going to be the bike of choice even for yamaha riders.

15. UrfavNME

UrfavNME
    Expand Collapse
    AnthonyADMulisha<br />Admit or Deny!?!?

Hmm. The Rearset thing seems like bullshit. Kind of sounds like one of those "Spilled my hot coffee in my lap so PAY ME!" issues, I WHEELIED MY FUCKIN R1 and Came down HARD and my shit CRACKED so PAY ME! I've never ever EVER heard of rear sets breaking in 2 pieces, especially on a brand new bike. I've owned 4 R1s and Never had an Issue with a rearset. There's a guy here in Spokane with the only one around, I'll have him post up his "concerns and defect issues"crackup: :angry7:

16. ricksr6

ricksr6
    Expand Collapse
    The Doctor

First off, these all can be avoided very very easily!!!

1. the delay is obviously a fuel issue, simple fix is don't fucking ride at 5500 RPM, how fucking smart do you have to be to fix that, retards if you ask me!!

2. I am sure that the rearsets are not breaking under normal riding conditions, if your doign wheelies etc then what do you expect there is a lot of force on them. Fix is to don't do wheelies or get some AF rearsets!!

3. Learn how to ride is the fix there, and even if it does stall, drop the clutch and it will fire right back up, retards if you ask me!!!

These are all really stupid ideotic issues!!

17. late apex

late apex
    Expand Collapse

All new models go through teething problems. This one happens to be a Yamaha. Maybe, if they had invested more money in a "retard" switch, like Suzuki, instead of pouring money into the lightest rearsets they could produce, they wouldn't have these problems.

18. ricksr6

ricksr6
    Expand Collapse
    The Doctor

OK first off Yamaha came out and said they would buy any bike back if someone had a problem with the RPM issue. Want to know how many people did it, not to many because it was and still is the best 600CC bike out there!!!!

19. bikenut

bikenut
    Expand Collapse
    Crazy Bad Ass BITCH

Thanks for the info...that really sucks..hope Yami steps up to the plate and makes things right. I have never heard of rear set breaking unless a crash is involved. Thanks again..

20. Daves929

Daves929
    Expand Collapse
    Bike Whore

I hate the throttle by wire idea, too much control from a CPU......cables work just fine