close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

With all the Tard threads lately....

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by Juilin, Oct 3, 2012.

1. PeteN95

PeteN95 Moderator Staff Member

He's talking about the reason your bike looks like this!? :secret:

[​IMG]

2. I'm fairly certain the point goes to pete.

Mxyzptlk, how "maintenance free" is it really without that top end? considering my stock bike only comes apart for...umm...well...no, it doesn't come apart :p

3. That's an abnormal circumstance. The spark plug wiggled out and stripped the threads. It happens to cars and bikes alike. :( If the bike was still stock, it would have still happened.

Before this, I haven't opened my engine except to check valves in over a year since I did my big bore.

Except for checking the valves, the engine doesn't get taken apart on big bores unless it's an abnormal circumstance.

I suggest checking the thumpertalk forums to see how many 434 and 490 drz owners there are and how maintenance free the upgrades really are. Except for valve checks and oil changes, they rarely ever take their bike apart.

4. And Debi's and DragRacer's and all those other blown up modified DRZ's.

5. Debi's bike had 40-60k miles on it? That's a lot for a thumper, especially when it lived a hard raced life.

How about all the stock DRZ's that blow up as well? I think you're trying to skew the data.

6. i think it had about 40k on it and she replaced the WHOLE top end. just like jim's.

7. Yes and after the motor was opened up they did not last long. Jim got what, 2 miles out of his?

Not saying they can't be built to hold power but if an experienced engine builder can't keep it together maybe the after market parts are not the greatest quality?

8. I don't know the details of Jim or Debi's blow up, but there are also stock engines that blow up at low miles while still under warranty with all the scheduled maintenance. Sometimes it's the luck of the draw.

When I did my big bore, I replaced all the valve pieces and everything has been fine since. I expect the bottom end to lose a bearing before the top end wrecks.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  9. I better sell my DRZ now. It might blow up.

10. Did the top and bottom end at 50,000 and got another 1000 out of it then had that ring issue on that last tard ride, fixed it and put in Ferrea valves when we had it apart vs OEM valves and I got what 4 laps in when it went Poof
    This
    [​IMG]

to this in 4 laps at PGP
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This is what caused my poof... :rant
    [​IMG]

Ya see it????/ yeah a damned keeper slipped :rant

But in all it was a damned good fun bike and very much could take anything I threw at it except this :tard:

11. Stock DRZ's last forever..

Make the motor bigger and wait for it to pop.. it will.

I've seen 7-8 guys locally all pop their big bore kits (danny, pete, debi, drag racer etc)

Get a bigger street tard if your a bigger guy...

Normal service intervals (3k oil changes).
    xr650 husky 610 ktm 625/690

I've had my KTM for 8 years.. RIDDEN THE PISS OUT OF IT, still going strong.
    I wheelie right past all the modded drz's you can shake a stick at at 70-90mph no motor mods...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlhIEz9Q7eg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRkD1iEc3nU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CM2V6NoZhA

12. Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  13. PeteN95

PeteN95 Moderator Staff Member

Simple rule for any engine, reliability is inversely proportional to the number of performance modifications. If your engine is making more power, there is that much more stress on all the parts, simple as that.

14. Juilin

Juilin Captain Pubic

What started as a simple thread has become an explosion of sumo-tard-dual-sport craziness. Now I have even less idea what to get and I'm twice as jazzed. I was leaning towards the DR and now I seriously want to ride a DRZ.

There's a little bit of hooligan coming out in this old man, even though I'm just a boring year round commuter.

15. The DRZ is a fantastic bike, I almost got one last week but backed out since the price for it + rims were enough to get a different bike I'd been wanting for awhile.

I still want to ride one though :(

16. Juilin

Juilin Captain Pubic

I'll probably wind up with the DR because I want to ride something cross country, but the DRZ looks like more fun.

17. Drz is a hoot and a half for sure. I'd let you ride mine if you round here

18. Tards just can't hold it in.