XR650R Street Legal?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Talk' started by RVFR, Jan 26, 2008.

1. RVFR

RVFR
    Expand Collapse
    Pilot in Command

I Ride:
    Cause I can
    Anyone here have a street legal one? Seen em here and there in Ca. look like they could be a hoot. If you are one of the lucky folks that have one, post up your thoughts please.

2. Ciao998

Ciao998
    Expand Collapse

Willie aka xr supermoto has a "street legal" xr 650........;).........JOhn

3. Jerry_WA

Jerry_WA
    Expand Collapse

I found a great deal on a XR650R before I bought my Kawi ZRX1200R, and contacted the WA DOL, and was told flat out that any bike manufactured with a frame label that said for dirt riding purposes only could not be licensed for street use.
    But I think that if you have a bike already licensed in another state you MIGHT be able to license it in WA.

4. 96ssportsp

96ssportsp
    Expand Collapse

Yes, Willie has a street legal XR 650. He even rode it all the way to Laguna and back with me last year. No problems, other than wearing out a new aluminum sprocket.:mrgreen: Says alot for a dirt bike to sustain that long running time instead of short bursts. Ride safe, Scott.

5. RVFR

RVFR
    Expand Collapse
    Pilot in Command

I Ride:
    Cause I can
    No kidding, where he at?

6. FatMatt

FatMatt
    Expand Collapse

Prolly out sleddin!

7. Blinky

Blinky
    Expand Collapse

I Ride:
    SV650
    I think they have changed things in Oregon but I know of an XR that was purchased by an Oregon resident and converted. They got an Oregon license then the Washington owner could transfer the title because there was no MSO stating "off road use only."

I know the folks that did it and it is the only one I know they did, but I heard Oregon changed the loop hole.

8. Red Seven

Red Seven
    Expand Collapse

Is Willie's bike the 650R or the 650L? The L's are street legal, but different bikes from the 650R. These days, it'll be almost impossible to get an R streetlegal unless you transfer or register it to someone in a a different state who can get it street legalized and then transfer it back to you in WA.

9. james1300

james1300
    Expand Collapse
    Track School Dazed

Its an 'R' fo sho!

10. RVFR

RVFR
    Expand Collapse
    Pilot in Command

I Ride:
    Cause I can
    Nice, this is just what I'm talking about. Thanks Willie

[​IMG]

11. 96ssportsp

96ssportsp
    Expand Collapse

12. bigred 1

bigred 1
    Expand Collapse

These are for sale often in Oregon. I bought mine in Bend its a 2000 and had the lic already done. It came on knobbies with a 19 " frt. Crf frt. wheel and an other rim on back with a matching avon. Had to machine down steel spacers to go over the frt. axle and in the oversize crf bears, oh yeah the really cool parts are the 280 edc disks on each and the trail tech computer. I paid$3400 for everything he had. I have heard that pre 04' xrr already lic are good. That is the way i did it. It had a 48 tooth rear had to drop down to a 43, way better on the road, and best choice for not replacing the chain between swaps.[[/

13. RedKat600

RedKat600
    Expand Collapse
    Vintage Screwball
    Staff Member

Ehhh....this thread is over 4....years....old. ZOMBIE!!!!

14. Silver788

Silver788
    Expand Collapse

I have an 2002 xr650r with a plate. Wanna buy it lol. Very little dirt bike time

15. Silver788

Silver788
    Expand Collapse

Now thats some funny shit right there. I never checked the age of this thread

16. PeteN95

PeteN95
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Sounds like the same set up I have? Bet it's an NX250 front wheel. I swapped front bearings and it bolted right on.