ZX10R... Streetfighter Project? (56k no bueno)

Discussion in 'Mechanical & Technical' started by TRAIL BOSS, May 15, 2008.

1. TRAIL BOSS

TRAIL BOSS Defiler of Threads

I Ride:
    for OPRT with an '07 SXV550 (The Darkness) and a '13 ZX14R (Mjölnir).
    PJD, all this shit is your fault. :thefinge:

I've always been a fan of naked bikes, but couldn't resist the allure of the mighty ZX10R. When I bought it, I thought the fairings looked allright, and the bike was near unbeatable performance wise. Something just felt wrong, though. I didn't like all the plastic around my bars, didn't like the fixed headlight, blah blah blah... Essentially I wanted a naked, and it took some heckling from PJD before I realized it.

Here's the before:
    [​IMG]

One night, I pulled the fairings for an oil change, and I just never went back. Here's what I was left with:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I couldn't ride it without lights or signals... right? Right??? In true hooligan spirit, I disregarded the laws created for my own safety and remounted the ram-air and guages so I could at least see how far over the limit I was. This snorky little number is what resulted:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had to get rid of this as well:
    [​IMG]

So I removed the cannister and evap box, blocked the lines at the intakes and capped them at the tank.
    [​IMG]

I went to a local bicycle shop in everett and bought some bar end mirrors. With a little fabrication I was good to go.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The bike was functional, but god what an eyesore! I went online and ordered a set of Dominator headlights, led turn signals and the bracketry to mount them. I fabricated a steel bracket for the guages, but I found out the hard way that it oscillates terribly at speeds over 100mph. I was in Chelan, so here was my quick fix:

[​IMG]

Once home from Chelan, I swapped out the bungees for a less ghetto black zip-tie, and ordered up some goodies:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I installed the plugs and filter tonight, and it was a bitch. I also pulled out my intake secondaries using this same process:
    [​IMG]

Once I had that done, I buttoned it up and started the bike... only to find that I hadn't pushed down one of the stick coils completely. I had to tear into it again. FACK!

Either way, she's back together, and here are some pics of the latest work:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I still have some items to install, such as StompGrip tank pads, radiator shrouds, Buell windscreen, belly pan... I just ran out of time tonight.

Let me know what you think! :mrgreen:

pjd likes this.
  2. gixxerjeff

gixxerjeff emw2k9 beer pong champions

disclaimer: i am fond of the original look to begin with.

that being said, it looks good,

[​IMG]
    i think that more front fairing/plastics are needed. these dont have to be large, as in the picture i have posted. let me know if you are interested in carbon fiber custom parts and we can talk

3. I like this one [​IMG]

4. :puke

Um, ya.

You took a decent looking bike & made it look like it's been wrecked.:tard: Good job.

& why the "mod" job on the mirrors? Why not just put them in the bars?

5. Good so far but you gotta do something with the front end, maybe some kinda small custom fairing or something, maybe windscreen is gonna help.

#5 Mookie, May 16, 2008
    Last edited: May 16, 2008
  6. Sex. I love it, your bike looks Fing sweet. I'm not a fan of the exhaust though, seems so bulky and in the way of things . . . what things exactly, I have no clue. Anyway, it's Fing sweet. <thumbs>

Oh I think I figured it out, the exhaust doesn't allow a nice view of the rear section flairing up away from the tire.

7. FastCat

I love "naked" or standard bikes. I admire your ambition in taking on a project like this. That being said, I gotta wonder how come you didn't just go down to a triumph dealer and trade in the ZX-10 on a Speed Triple?

8. TRAIL BOSS

I Ride:
    ZX10 > S3

Thanks. :mrgreen:

Buell flyscreen over the headlights, radiator shrouds and a belly pan. It'll come together.

I suppose I asked for that... :tard:

The mirrors don't mount inside without eliminating the bar end weights. I've done that before, but find that I prefer the extra vibe damping that the weights provide.

Agreed. I'm usually up in B'ham once a week seeing friends. If you've got some pricing or samples of your work I'd love to get together and haggle a bit. I prefer to support local shops as opposed to larger companies. Feel free to give me a call, too.

9. vagrant

vagrant »-(¯`·.·´¯)-> PNW

Okay, well that guage bracket does have some obvious flexibility issues (no offence).
    Idea a: - at the least you could add another suuport member to the horizontal baseplate, increasing the torsional stiffness of the baseplate's twist mode. Then you could add gussets to the upper bracket - gussets rock for stiffness. The only problem then is you are greating a nice bucket for air to force against. In which case, flip the bracket around.
    [​IMG]

Idea b: If those are bolt holes in the entrance of the ram-air section then fix of those - creating a nice direct inlet while better supporting for guages.
    [​IMG]

Idea c: Some nice "face plastics" - mount the guages to a "face" cowling fab'd from plastic/CF and support by some bracketry. Contour around the eyes, while maintaining some semblance of the original 10r features with the inlet - seal the inlet to your ram-air.
    [​IMG]

Idea d: A variant of "c", closing out the face with some side bits to hide the ugly stuff.[​IMG]

Just some ideas. Im so ready for the weekend...

10. vagrant

Another alternative, if you kept the centralized guage bracket, with some face plastic, would be to have dual inlets (nostrils/ear holes) out to the sides.

11. vagrant

I screwed up the shape of the inlet. Should be a "V" with a convex curved top lip. (As Im sure you already know)

12. TRAIL BOSS

I Ride:
    Yeah, the bracket is a temporary until my windscreen arrives and I have the parts I need to do mock-ups with the ram-air.

Thanks for the ideas! As soon as I get to a computer that will let me view them, I'll see whatchu got goin on. :)

13. PeteN95

PeteN95 Moderator
    Staff Member

Looking good! Only thing I would add is dirt bike bars so you can sit up a bit. Also makes wheelies even easier.

14. Interesting...but I guess I have a question for waaay back in the beginning of how this all got started....

Why'd you take off all the front fairings just to change the oil?

15. pjd

pjd Moderator
    Staff Member

Once a hooligan, always a hooligan. :devil:

:secret: exhaust needs to be ceramic coated black, just FYI.

Now about that yellow two-fiddy......

16. TRAIL BOSS

I Ride:
    I've had upright bars, but prefer the track oriented position of clip-ons. Better control at deep lean angles. :)

Took off the lowers and changed the oil. Then I decided I'd see what 1/2 faried looked like and pulled the mids... then I unbolted the nose and knew it was the right choice.

I'm diggin the brushed color for now... if I do any more exhaust stuff it will be a Boz Moira style custom slash cut under the engine.

I'm working on Courtney about the Neeeeeenja, but she has yet to put more than 100 miles on the thing yet. :roll: I don't think she appreciates the SF look, either.

17. A) I see. Just wondering cuz all I ever take off is the left lower.

B) If you've never heard a Boz Moira...please find one to listen to before you buy it. Seriously. No. Really. SERIOUSLY. (I actually made it 2 whole days with one on my bike...what a fucking accomplishment)

18. pjd

pjd Moderator
    Staff Member

That's it, you've got to dump her.

I kid, I kid. She's the bomb 'cause she can put up with you.

19. TRAIL BOSS

I Ride:
    Agreed. :tard:

You've probably never heard my Z1K, have you? :evil4::devil:

If I do go for a system like that, I'll fabricate it myself. It can't POSSIBLY be that complex, as it's just a straight pipe off the headers. That way if the sound isn't where I like it, I"ll only be out the cost of some steel pipe.

Thank you for the warning, though. I appreciate it.

#19 TRAIL BOSS, May 16, 2008
    Last edited: May 16, 2008
  20. Nope, never heard it.

All I know is that my Boz made it 2 days...and when I put mine up for sale there were 4 others up as well...

It's not that hard a system to duplicate, I agree...if you have the means.

Or you can just pick up a used one for a reasonable price.