Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #361
Newbie
 
Joined: May 2009
From: salem, oregon

I Ride: CBR f2
Being a 100 level rider, do I have to worry about a more experienced rider passing me on the inside and potentially causing this kind of damage to me? I mean, I understand it is a risk signing up and riding, but to my understanding, we go there to learn to ride better in a more controlled area with riders that are doing the same.

I'm worried now :(

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 

Old 07-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #362
Novice Racer
Real Fast Travis's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
From: .
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Tila View Post
Being a 100 level rider, do I have to worry about a more experienced rider passing me on the inside and potentially causing this kind of damage to me? I mean, I understand it is a risk signing up and riding, but to my understanding, we go there to learn to ride better in a more controlled area with riders that are doing the same.

I'm worried now :(
Can this happen...yes.

Does it happen...yes.

In all group levels.

But, in my limited experience, incidents like this are far and few in between, I wouldn't worry about it.

Clear your mind, and ride.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #363
Knee Dragger
firedad's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
From: The shallow end of the gene pool

I Ride: Faster than I should
I was in the same boat tila, all nervous and tons of questions. I got passed inside and outside. Outside on the carousel, inside on the exit of I think turn 8a. It was a little bit of a surprise the first time, I heard them though, and there was plenty of room. 100 group here.

Nobody tried anything like that at the ridge, or any of the tighter corners.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #364
Shredder
88dx's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
From: Bellingham

I Ride: On the sidewalk
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutefisk View Post
Want to add my thanks to the OPRT folks and especially control rider Jim on the red Daytona who led me a couple of laps in the last Level 1 session. This was my first ride on The Ridge, and first track day in about 15 years and on a brand new $treet Triple so my goals were to not crash, learn something and have fun in that order.

I mostly met all three goals with the exception of the first, having dropped my bike trying to reach down and turn on the video cam while waiting in the pit lane for the first session :/ . Oh the humiliation. But not much harm done, just a little rash on the case. Well I hope I wasn't too much of a speed bump! It was certainly a great experience and I will be back. Helps that I live only about 10 minutes from the track Also great to meet my neighbors in the paddock, Mike and the two guys from Oregon, and John B. on the other side.
I was right next to you in the pits when you fell over. I looked over and thought your were about to fall then i put my kick stand down and you had already fell

I followed you for a bit when your were following jim, looked like you were doing good on that street triple

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #365
Shredder
88dx's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
From: Bellingham

I Ride: On the sidewalk
Oh and firedad gets the dipshit noob award. I mean who dosent bring beer to the track the night before

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #366
Knee Dragger
firedad's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
From: The shallow end of the gene pool

I Ride: Faster than I should
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by 88dx View Post
Oh and firedad gets the dipshit noob award. I mean who dosent bring beer to the track the night before
Hey now, I had kirk pick some up for me.

Honestly though, I did think about it, but didn't know if you could bring alcohol to the track. Consider this a major learnig experience. Already looking at trailers and thinking about where to put the wet bar in there.


Btw... Dx, thank you and the other two (can't remember names, there was so many) for making me feel so welcome right off the bat. And sharing the refreshments, I owe u guys. Next time I will have more than enough.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter

Last edited by firedad; 07-14-2012 at 12:16 PM..
 
Old 07-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #367
Newbie
thinkingfeller's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
From: Seattle

I Ride: 08 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
Here are the last two sessions of the day that I participated in. I skipped the lunch session and the very last session of the day. I'll be posting all 5 sessions that I did on my youtube channel. Funny how helmet cams always make everything look slower.



__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-14-2012, 12:19 PM   #368
Training Wheels
 
Joined: Jun 2012
From: Redmond, WA

I Ride: 2008 FZ6, 2003 R6
Here's my little highlight reel, I tried to keep it interesting which means showing other bikes and passes. It obviously wasn't all passes that day. Next time I might sneak into a couple 200 level sessions to get my slice of humble pie. Cannot wait to get back to The Ridge.

OPRT was great yet again, I really appreciate the work they put into these events. Several incidents and scheduling issues but I thought they handled it well despite a couple 4 or 5 lap sessions. Glad everyone is okay and feelings are now mended.



Couple notes, on my very last session I accidentally wheelied out of the hot pit. My apologies, I've actually never done that on the FZ6 ... scared the shit out of me. Also my rear cam captured about 2 minutes of an instructor one-handing it behind one of my faster laps. Trolls!

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #369
Novice Racer
soggydoo's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
From: medford, oregon
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by real fast travis View Post
can this happen...yes.

Does it happen...yes.

In all group levels.

But, in my limited experience, incidents like this are far and few in between, i wouldn't worry about it.

Clear your mind, and ride.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #370
58
Licensed
58's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
From: 98047

I Ride: '97 Ducati 748, '99 Aprilia rs250 (track)
Apologies to those that I passed on the inside and a few on the outside. Sketchy I realize and sorry about that. No one came and bitched me out, tho Wyckedan did give me the evil eye a couple time. I got a bit impatient for clean track so did I could do as cleanly as I could. To the rider that looked over at me in the carousel as I passed you slowly on your right...please please watch the track and not me, you go where you look and ya did drift out some.
On that note I did have a few people rub shoulders with me passing but no harm no foul. Scared the crap outta me but it happens and I composed myself and went on.
Also learned the wrong entry into turn 1 and how to get to turn 3 tower via Baja thru turn 2.
Relax, breathe, and don't overthink the entries and corners. All is well after that.

Thanks again for first of my Ridge days (did Friday as well)

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #371
Peg Dragger
smokedu's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: T-town, Wa

I Ride: with O.P.R.T on some KTM's or a Kaw.
Here are a couple of my vids. First one is the second session of the 100 group. I asked to be moved up after that session. The other video is my second session in the 200 level so session four of the day.

I must say I was really impressed with the O.P.R.T crew and control riders. I know that when I asked to be moved up I got some great advice about not falling into the trap of thinking this is a race, trying to keep up with someone that passes you or just plain riding over your head. It is easy to fall into this train of thought. Red mist is what I believe it was referred to.

I also had a control rider come and follow me into the pits after the session. He let me know my lines were good, form good and good choices on passing. Very cool.

I also wittnessed another control rider search out a gentleman I was pitted next to. This was his first track day. The instructor spent some considerable time going over things, listening and answering questions. Again, very cool.

Every one I rode with or was next to had a big grin on their face Thanks O.P.R.T for another great track day experience.

Derick






__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-14-2012, 08:34 PM   #372
Endorsed
Ghost62's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
From: Snohomish County, Washington

I Ride: 2013 Ducati Panigale

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #373
Newbie
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: Shelton, WA

I Ride: Triumph Street Triple R
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by 88dx View Post
I was right next to you in the pits when you fell over. I looked over and thought your were about to fall then i put my kick stand down and you had already fell
I almost caught it...damn thing. I saw you looking over at me trying to decide how to help but was just as well you didn't, it could have pulled you over too.
“ Quote:
I followed you.....
... Until you passed me. That was something, getting passed by people on 400cc dirt bikes! I'd love to have one of those. They look a lot cheaper to drop than my Triumph as well as very fun to ride. If I can lower it enough...

Btw here's my vid from the last session... I think there were only about 10 people left by then.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #374
Training Wheels
htdub's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
From: Vancouver, Canada

I Ride: Kawi 250, Triumph Thruxton
Some random photos.
5 Hour Drive from Vancouver get's us to the mother land



9pm Arrival, Portlander Joe and in the background was Redline AMA team packing up, after doing a test day on the cbr1000. Running low 1:30 times




Camp Canada right by hot pit entrance


7:30, people start rolling in, where's that coffee truck?



Let's install some blue streamers to show them who's the boss.



Skagit Powersports Bus, doing the morning track sighting run!


Potential to be the best bus ride ever.



Are those donuts spotted at the South Sound BMW / ORPT registration table?


View of the cork screw from the bus, driver said she had warmers on the bus tires before going out.


KFG Racing booth busy with last minute turbo installs


Jared telling us the rules at riders meeting inbetween giving away crap $$$$ load of sponsor donated stuff.



"Who called in sick to come out today?"


My kawi 250, Chicken Strippers Racing Team turtle bike prepped for level 100 action.



Jim and Jim telling us what to expect and pester anyone with a orange vest with questions and get 1 on 1 time.





Clouds burn off finally.



Get bent, just like the parking lot…well bit faster


1 on 1 Rider Training, ORPT had so many instructors out per session.



Level 200 group aftersoon session


Power Rangers unite


Thanks to all the companies that don't sponsor me, Apple, DC, Starbucks





Aftermath of a incident into the corkscrew, broken collarone



YES!!! I didn't run of gas…again




ZZ top gopro makes another appearance



See ya soon


__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter

Last edited by htdub; 07-14-2012 at 10:11 PM..
 
Old 07-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #375
Moderator
PeteN95's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
From: Muk, WA
Blog Entries: 4

I Ride: fast, except on the road.
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by firedad View Post
Pete... Was that you pitted next to kirk? With the dirt bike?
Yes, sorry I didn't introduce myself, but I figured out later who you were and was bummed I didn't get to talk more. You also have a very cool family! Hope to see you out there next time!

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-15-2012, 03:27 AM   #376
Knee Dragger
firedad's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
From: The shallow end of the gene pool

I Ride: Faster than I should
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
Yes, sorry I didn't introduce myself, but I figured out later who you were and was bummed I didn't get to talk more. You also have a very cool family! Hope to see you out there next time!
It's all good man, you were crazy busy. I'm surprised you even had the time to talk that you took.

And thanks I like 'em lol

And yes, there will be a next time. Trying to talk the wife into doing a track day, if she does, and gets hooked, there goes my track bike.... Guess ill just have to get a new one

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter

Last edited by firedad; 07-15-2012 at 02:51 PM..
 
Old 07-15-2012, 01:48 PM   #377
TJC
Licensed
TJC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
From: Redmond, WA

I Ride: two bikes in the morning. I ride two bikes at night. I ride two bikes in the afternoon cuz it makes me feel alright.
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by 58TypeDuc View Post
Apologies to those that I passed on the inside and a few on the outside. Sketchy I realize and sorry about that. No one came and bitched me out, tho Wyckedan did give me the evil eye a couple time. I got a bit impatient for clean track so did I could do as cleanly as I could. To the rider that looked over at me in the carousel as I passed you slowly on your right...please please watch the track and not me, you go where you look and ya did drift out some.
On that note I did have a few people rub shoulders with me passing but no harm no foul. Scared the crap outta me but it happens and I composed myself and went on.
Also learned the wrong entry into turn 1 and how to get to turn 3 tower via Baja thru turn 2.
Relax, breathe, and don't overthink the entries and corners. All is well after that.

Thanks again for first of my Ridge days (did Friday as well)

What group were you riding in?

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #378
Endorsed
Kush Technique's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: Seattle, Washington

I Ride: 2006 R6
Great day aside from briefly making friends with the dirt at turn 8. Thanks for another awesome event OPRT.

Also, Big thanks to Anthony for showing me some lines early in the day.

Looking forward to the next event!

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-15-2012, 04:24 PM   #379
Licensed
S1KRR's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
From: Renton, WA

I Ride: BMW S1000RR, Husky TR650 Terra
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Kush Technique View Post
Great day aside from briefly making friends with the dirt at turn 8. Thanks for another awesome event OPRT.

Also, Big thanks to Anthony for showing me some lines early in the day.

Looking forward to the next event!
Were you riding in the 2 (intermediate) level? Was the dirt runoff around the 2nd or 3rd lap of the session, if so, I've got it on video and can post a short clip if you want to see it as I was about 3 to 4 bikes behind when this incident happened.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 07-15-2012, 06:21 PM   #380
Endorsed
Kush Technique's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: Seattle, Washington

I Ride: 2006 R6
“ Quote:
Were you riding in the 2 (intermediate) level? Was the dirt runoff around the 2nd or 3rd lap of the session, if so, I've got it on video and can post a short clip if you want to see it as I was about 3 to 4 bikes behind when this incident happened.
Yep that sounds like me. Level 2 and into the dirt after the warm-up laps

If you can post the short clip that would be amazing. I really want to compare what I remember happening to what actually happened!

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Closed Thread

  PNW Riders > PNW Riders > Track Time


Thread Tools
Display Modes



/pnwriders @pnwriders PNW Riders RSS Feed