Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
Peg Dragger
Furious Coder's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Apr 2010
From: Seattle, WA

I Ride: 2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer, 2009 Triumph Daytona 675
Thoughts on TOR @ The Ridge, May 26th
Just rode back from The Ridge, doing TOR. I wanted to post some thoughts while they were fresh in my mind. In case you're wondering, I was the guy grandmothering my way around the track on the red Daytona 675.
  • First and foremost, thanks to the Marshal who stuck with me for half the laps and showed me some good lines. I really, really appreciate that.
  • The Ridge is a very nice park. It's clear that it's only going to get better with time as more facilities, grandstands, and overpass bridges are built. The corner stands look fantastic. The view from up top is amazing. Kudos to the team that is building this place. You've done a great job. I want to come back, often.
  • Holy shit was I terrified. With the elevation changes, half the corners felt like they were blind. Even by lap 4, I was only mildly familiar with what corner I was coming into, and what was a comfortable pace for me, as well as how I was positioned entering vs. where I wanted to be.
  • No, I didn't get out of third gear, even on the straightaway. I definitely rode my own ride, in my comfort zone. I didn't even break 100 on the straight. That's fine by me, as I wanted to enter turns 1 and 2 at the right pace.
  • The reason I wanted to enter 1 and 2 at the right pace was because someone went off into the dirt on 2 and rode it uphill back onto the track, right in front of me. That was unnerving. I didn't know if you were going to crash, drag gravel onto the track, or what, and then I had to keep focusing on my own lines and not be distracted by your chicanery. Uncool at an amateur event.
  • That corkscrew is crazy. I'm sure if I built my confidence, it would be more fun, but mostly it was just crazy.
  • The pavement is very, very nice. Except for the corners where there is patchwork by the berms. I felt my rear tire slipping a few times on these.
  • The Carousel was actually fun by about the 5th lap. I can't wait to get good enough that I can take this at a reasonable speed and lean.
  • Did I mention I was terrified?

Overall, it's clear that 1) I need to do a bunch of track days next month to build up my confidence, and 2) I'll need to come back to The Ridge. Even if I just ride that track in Novice Class over and over again, I'm looking forward to really knowing the turns and getting the flow and pace of that track down. I'm sure really knowing with confidence what turn is next, and where it is, will result in a great series of tip-ins and accelerations.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 

Old 05-26-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
WMRRA 1st VP
Gotama's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
From: Kent

I Ride: lawnmower
glad ya had fun
that track has tons of lines I think the only wrong one would be the dirt section , but other than that
stop thinking so much about it , it's kinda like skiing
feel it
just remember to hit your brake markers

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 05-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
Seņor verde
Bluuu's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
From: Kirkland

I Ride: behind the girls.
You weren't "distracted" by someone's "chicanery". Shit happens. People do their best or they don't, but shit happens. If you think you were distracted, then YOU failed to remained focused on the task at hand. That's on YOU. Not somebody else. Whatever happens out there, YOU have to remain focused and do what is needed for the task at hand. Period!

Not trying to rag on you. Just saying you gotta look inward, not outward.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter

Last edited by Bluuu; 05-26-2012 at 04:30 PM..
 
Old 05-26-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
Novice Racer
Sentor's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
From: Beaverton, OR

I Ride: 2008 R6 Race Bike - #52 - And whatever's in the shop!
Yeah, I crashed last monday at the track. I watched a guy crash about 20-25 feet in front me, and I panic braked in the rain... It wasn't anyone's fault but my own.

If you're scared of the track, and speed, you're the only one to work on. I've had 6 people in the last month crash RIGHT in front of me... It's good practice.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 05-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #5
Licensed
RPIDucS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
From: Seattle, WA

I Ride: 2010 Ducati 1198S White/Red/Black
You did a great job Paul. My first track day at the Ridge, I was one of the slowest in the 200 group. This track takes some time to get familiar with.

By next TOR you'll have a couple of track days under your belt.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 05-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #6
Pit Crew
Yamacrab's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
From: WA

I Ride: clean
It was definitely fun. I might have some footage of you from the GoPro so I'll look for the Daytona (this is Jason btw - black r1)

Good for you for sticking with your own pace. Lot of people get carried away and try to push themselves out of their comfort zone too soon. At the end of the day if your bike is still shiny, you're a winner

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 05-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
Novice Racer
Real Fast Travis's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
From: .
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious Coder View Post
Just rode back from The Ridge, doing TOR. I wanted to post some thoughts while they were fresh in my mind. In case you're wondering, I was the guy grandmothering my way around the track on the red Daytona 675.
  • First and foremost, thanks to the Marshal who stuck with me for half the laps and showed me some good lines. I really, really appreciate that.
  • The Ridge is a very nice park. It's clear that it's only going to get better with time as more facilities, grandstands, and overpass bridges are built. The corner stands look fantastic. The view from up top is amazing. Kudos to the team that is building this place. You've done a great job. I want to come back, often.
  • Holy shit was I terrified. With the elevation changes, half the corners felt like they were blind. Even by lap 4, I was only mildly familiar with what corner I was coming into, and what was a comfortable pace for me, as well as how I was positioned entering vs. where I wanted to be.
  • No, I didn't get out of third gear, even on the straightaway. I definitely rode my own ride, in my comfort zone. I didn't even break 100 on the straight. That's fine by me, as I wanted to enter turns 1 and 2 at the right pace.
  • The reason I wanted to enter 1 and 2 at the right pace was because someone went off into the dirt on 2 and rode it uphill back onto the track, right in front of me. That was unnerving. I didn't know if you were going to crash, drag gravel onto the track, or what, and then I had to keep focusing on my own lines and not be distracted by your chicanery. Uncool at an amateur event.
  • That corkscrew is crazy. I'm sure if I built my confidence, it would be more fun, but mostly it was just crazy.
  • The pavement is very, very nice. Except for the corners where there is patchwork by the berms. I felt my rear tire slipping a few times on these.
  • The Carousel was actually fun by about the 5th lap. I can't wait to get good enough that I can take this at a reasonable speed and lean.
  • Did I mention I was terrified?

Overall, it's clear that 1) I need to do a bunch of track days next month to build up my confidence, and 2) I'll need to come back to The Ridge. Even if I just ride that track in Novice Class over and over again, I'm looking forward to really knowing the turns and getting the flow and pace of that track down. I'm sure really knowing with confidence what turn is next, and where it is, will result in a great series of tip-ins and accelerations.


Because they are....

Good job riding your ride, that's the most important thing.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 05-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #8
Pit Crew
Yamacrab's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
From: WA

I Ride: clean
Yea the blind corners are sketchy! I was having some trouble with those too

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 05-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #9
buttsecz man
dizzle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
From: Newcastle
Blog Entries: 2

I Ride: like an asian. You scurred yet?
mother fucker, I really should search before making my own thread about this exact same topic in Track Time.

Mods - Can we combine threads? I'll copy and paste my experience from my thread.
  • The track is a beast. I don't see how pacific is ever going to stay in business to compete with The Ridge.
  • Watching videos on youtube trying to learn the track does no justice, it's a whole new experience riding on fresh asphalt and open track.
  • Diablo SuperCorsa's (Thanks Ride Faster!) are stickier than a 13 year old boy's sock drawer.
  • I justified my $20 fee once I touched a puck down in Turn whatever (right hander)
  • I learned that I am extremely slow. To any CR's (RF and Yardie) if you were trying to get me to follow you, here's a big fuck you for making me feel even slower haha.
  • I'm scrounging up pennies now to do a track day at The Ridge ASAP.
  • A huge to no crashes during TOR.
    -adding more-
  • I was extremely scared the entire session mainly because I didn't want to be that guy again and toss it in a corner.
  • Now that I know the track layout in person, I feel that I can probably push it a little bit at a track day instead of babying it like I did 95% of the time.
  • The corkscrew is scary. Whoever told me that it's like falling off a cliff, that's what I envisioned the first time I went down it. I think I might have screamed like a little girl a little bit in my helmet.
  • Turn 4 is a sneaky fucking corner.
  • I loathe turn 12. It's really scary.
  • Turns 8 and 13 = my favorite.
  • I didn't leave 2nd gear the whole time except for on the straight. I didn't even break 4th gear on the straight, even with my speed/tach taped up.
  • My go fast duct tape didn't work. Damn you KFG!

My thread to combine with this thread: TOR @ The Ridge Motorsports Park - 5/26 5/27 5/28 .. Who did it?

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter

Last edited by dizzle; 05-26-2012 at 05:50 PM..
 
Old 05-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #10
buttsecz man
dizzle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
From: Newcastle
Blog Entries: 2

I Ride: like an asian. You scurred yet?
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious Coder View Post
Just rode back from The Ridge, doing TOR. I wanted to post some thoughts while they were fresh in my mind. In case you're wondering, I was the guy grandmothering my way around the track on the red Daytona 675.
  • First and foremost, thanks to the Marshal who stuck with me for half the laps and showed me some good lines. I really, really appreciate that.
  • The Ridge is a very nice park. It's clear that it's only going to get better with time as more facilities, grandstands, and overpass bridges are built. The corner stands look fantastic. The view from up top is amazing. Kudos to the team that is building this place. You've done a great job. I want to come back, often.
  • Holy shit was I terrified. With the elevation changes, half the corners felt like they were blind. Even by lap 4, I was only mildly familiar with what corner I was coming into, and what was a comfortable pace for me, as well as how I was positioned entering vs. where I wanted to be.
  • No, I didn't get out of third gear, even on the straightaway. I definitely rode my own ride, in my comfort zone. I didn't even break 100 on the straight. That's fine by me, as I wanted to enter turns 1 and 2 at the right pace.
  • The reason I wanted to enter 1 and 2 at the right pace was because someone went off into the dirt on 2 and rode it uphill back onto the track, right in front of me. That was unnerving. I didn't know if you were going to crash, drag gravel onto the track, or what, and then I had to keep focusing on my own lines and not be distracted by your chicanery. Uncool at an amateur event.
  • That corkscrew is crazy. I'm sure if I built my confidence, it would be more fun, but mostly it was just crazy.
  • The pavement is very, very nice. Except for the corners where there is patchwork by the berms. I felt my rear tire slipping a few times on these.
  • The Carousel was actually fun by about the 5th lap. I can't wait to get good enough that I can take this at a reasonable speed and lean.
  • Did I mention I was terrified?

Overall, it's clear that 1) I need to do a bunch of track days next month to build up my confidence, and 2) I'll need to come back to The Ridge. Even if I just ride that track in Novice Class over and over again, I'm looking forward to really knowing the turns and getting the flow and pace of that track down. I'm sure really knowing with confidence what turn is next, and where it is, will result in a great series of tip-ins and accelerations.
I kept trying to pass you but I too was a scared little bitch and finally got enough balls to pass you in a corner so could attempt to catch up. I was quickly passed by numerous other riders haha.

I was terrified too .. If you saw me afterwards, I was shaking really bad from the adrenaline. Such a fucking blast though.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 05-26-2012, 06:53 PM   #11
Endorsed
bazacko's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: North Seattle, WA

I Ride: WR426, CBR F2, ZX6RR
Great job everyone, hope my antics didn't throw any of you off. I made sure to start in the back so I could pass every single person

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 05-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #12
WMRRA 1st VP
Gotama's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
From: Kent

I Ride: lawnmower
so who was the King of TOR this time
who set the lap record ?

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 05-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #13
buttsecz man
dizzle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
From: Newcastle
Blog Entries: 2

I Ride: like an asian. You scurred yet?
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotama View Post
so who was the King of TOR this time
who set the lap record ?
The fatty on the gsxr, Donny.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 05-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #14
Peg Dragger
Furious Coder's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Apr 2010
From: Seattle, WA

I Ride: 2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer, 2009 Triumph Daytona 675
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzle View Post
Watching videos on youtube trying to learn the track does no justice, it's a whole new experience riding on fresh asphalt and open track.
True, it's totally different when you're out there. Where you're looking, what you can see. Until it's right in front of you, you don't know how you're going to handle it. Kind of like your first real live naked woman.

“ Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzle View Post
I justified my $20 fee once I touched a puck down in Turn whatever (right hander)
Jealous. If I weren't trying to keep my sphincter puckered shut, I would have gone into the Carousel with a little more hang-off. If there's a place to touch puck, that's it.

“ Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzle View Post
A huge to no crashes during TOR.
I thought for sure that dirt-rider was going to bite it. I'm glad he saved it. But still, don't go hot on an unknown track! That could have turned out a lot worse.

“ Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzle View Post
The corkscrew is scary. Whoever told me that it's like falling off a cliff, that's what I envisioned the first time I went down it. I think I might have screamed like a little girl a little bit in my helmet.
Hella scary. Every time it was a matter of "downshift, tip, stare far ahead, far far ahead, now tip the other way... MUAAHHHHH!!!!" And it's really tight. I want to know what the grade is on that thing. 20%? 30%?

“ Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzle View Post
I was extremely scared the entire session mainly because I didn't want to be that guy again and toss it in a corner.
It's good to know I'm not the only one. There were lots of opportunities to either lowside or run off a corner at high speed because I was surprised. I didn't want that to happen. It's almost certainly my lack of experience, but that track seems like it's for the skilled, and more than a few noobs will almost certainly mess themselves up because they bite off more than they can chew this year. I'm sure I was screaming "FUUUUCKKKK!" into many a turn, every lap.

It's a good track, and I'm glad I rode the two hours down and back to get 20 minutes in. Worth it. Thanks for pointing this out. I never would have known if it weren't for your thread.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 05-26-2012, 07:07 PM   #15
Endorsed
Half Pint's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
From: Spanaway, Washington
Blog Entries: 1

I Ride: like a little ninja
I was out there two, group 2 though. Really fun track!! =)

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 05-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #16
MB2
Peg Dragger
MB2's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: Everett, WA

I Ride: '67 CT90
I'm crying a little on the inside. Wish I could have been there!

Next time.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 05-26-2012, 08:13 PM   #17
jimd2p aka Dweezlebutt
Cropduster's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
From: Olympia
Blog Entries: 1

I Ride: In tull fuck at 35 mph
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluuu View Post
You weren't "distracted" by someone's "chicanery". Shit happens. People do their best or they don't, but shit happens. If you think you were distracted, then YOU failed to remained focused on the task at hand. That's on YOU. Not somebody else. Whatever happens out there, YOU have to remain focused and do what is needed for the task at hand. Period!

Not trying to rag on you. Just saying you gotta look inward, not outward.
Just to satisfy my own curiosity, what is your track experience?

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 05-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #18
Peg Dragger
scollins's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
From: Renton WA

I Ride: to StarDuc's....
Good times! Watching the video of my ToR session is quite interesting. Naturally the GoPro distorts the sense of speed with wide angle, but it is clear that I park it right before the corkscrew and tenderfoot it all the way through it!

I backed out between 140 and 150 on the straight, mostly because my glasses were being pushed back into my face from the wind blast. (I never once looked down at my speedo, but my GoPro was positioned in such a way to capture the dash.) Any faster and I couldn't really see. Note to self, get a smoke shield for my track helmet.

Based on the video, it looks like nearly every corner likes a very wide and "deep" entry before really tipping in. Getting that down is something that lots of laps on the track will cure.....

Oh, and I caught Pete's last foray into SuMo land in turn 1 right at the end of my session. I just need to edit the video a bit.....

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter

Last edited by scollins; 05-26-2012 at 09:04 PM..
 
Old 05-26-2012, 08:55 PM   #19
Superbiker
Wyckedan's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
From: Seattle, Wa

I Ride: An 06 R6 with OPRT
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
Good times! Watching the video of my ToR session is quite interesting. Naturally the GoPro distorts the sense of speed with wide angle, but it is clear that I park it right before the corkscrew and tenderfoot it all the way through it!

I backed out between 140 and 150 on the straight, mostly because glasses were being pushed back into my from the wind blast. (I never once looked down at my speedo, but my GoPro was positioned in such a way to capture the dash.) Any faster and I couldn't really see. Note to self, get a smoke shield for my track helmet.

Based on the video, it looks like nearly every corner likes a very wide and "deep" entry before really tipping in. Getting that down is something that lots of laps on the track will cure.....

Oh, and I caught Pete's last foray into SuMo land in turn 1 right at the end of my session. I just need to edit the video a bit.....
Lots of late apex and double apex corners. Glad you guys had fun! Now bite the bullet and sign up for a full trackday! After 8 sessions out there, the smiles you have now won't even compare

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 05-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #20
Peg Dragger
scollins's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
From: Renton WA

I Ride: to StarDuc's....
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyckedan View Post
Lots of late apex and double apex corners. Glad you guys had fun! Now bite the bullet and sign up for a full trackday! After 8 sessions out there, the smiles you have now won't even compare

I think I turned one of those into about a 10-apex corner.......

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Reply

  PNW Riders > Washington Riders > Westside


Thread Tools
Display Modes



/pnwriders @pnwriders PNW Riders RSS Feed