Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 08:58 AM   #1
Shredder
WaGigKPN's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: Gig Harbor, WA
Blog Entries: 1

I Ride: 2000 BRP (XR650R)
SPD new bike
http://mynorthwest.com/646/1537632/SPDs-New-Ride

Discuss?

Everything i heard about new police bikes put HD dead last in every category...

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 

Old 10-16-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
Moderator
Grantizzle's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
From: Mill Creek, Wa

I Ride: slower than you with a bigger grin!
maybe the low seat height makes it easier for the in city cops to hop on and off.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-16-2012, 09:01 AM   #3
Je Fa Fa
koorbloh's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
From: Monroe-mish, WA
Blog Entries: 5

I Ride: 07 YZ450F, 74 XL350
does it really matter which bike they chose? they tested and chose the one they liked.






jeffytune will be happy

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-16-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
Licensed
BrandonBZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
From: Salem, Oregon

I Ride: 1978 Honda CB400 (Project), 1978 Honda XL175 (Towner)
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantizzle View Post
maybe the low seat height makes it easier for the in city cops to hop on and off.
For this reason the cops in Portland are thinking about trying some of those Ryno Motors Single Wheels




__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
Endorsed
 
Joined: Jul 2012
From: Seattle, WA

I Ride: 2008 BMW R 1200 GS
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by WaGigKPN View Post
http://mynorthwest.com/646/1537632/SPDs-New-Ride

Discuss?

Everything i heard about new police bikes put HD dead last in every category...
A few years ago I talked to an SPD Cycle Cop who commented on their use of R1200's.

He said that the biggest surprise came in their Motorcycle Maintenance Department. When SPD had HD bikes the Maintenance Shop always had a spare Harley ready to quickly replace the next broken Harley. After the change their spare R1200 was collecting dust.

Maybe going back to HD was a higher level decision made to avoid layoffs in their Maintenance Department. When you are paid by the taxpayers, being able to justify more people (i.e.: growing your own Department) is always a good thing.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #6
Peg Dragger
Bmwridr05's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
From: Spokane,WA

I Ride: 1985 R80, and others
Reason for the Harleys in the Moscow/ Lewiston areas had always been cost.
Harley lease programs were miles ahead of some other manufacture offerings.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #7
Banned Camp
 
Joined: Mar 2007
From: Seattle, WA
Blog Entries: 1

I Ride: BMW K1200GT, KTM 990 Adv, Ducati SF
Article says comfort was the main consideration. Why not cost, performance or safety?

I wonder if handling was a consideration:

"The SPD says 31 officers rode each motorcycle for one week and evaluated each one based on handling, ergonomics, maintenance, handling and comfort. The clear winner was the Harley Electra Glide."

Of course handling was the main consideration. Most of SPD's motor officers are mediocre riders, at best. And they must annually qualify in the cone-course. Most couldn't do it on anything other than a bike (HD) they can toss over onto the crash bars, then steer like a child's tricycle.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter

Last edited by FireDave; 10-16-2012 at 04:03 PM..
 
Old 10-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #8
Railer
Red Label Moto's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
From: Seattle

I Ride: All kinds
I had an ex-SPD Road King come through a couple weeks back. 2004 model with 33k miles. It was astounding to me how not hammered it was and seemed to work just as well as a big twin with 10k miles. It was a cool piece and a local rock star bought it.

That being said, what an absolute horrid machine for everyday urban police work. The brakes/handling were piss poor. The monster engine maybe had 50 ft/lbs torque to lug around 750 lbs and Officer Poncherello. Looked and sounded great though. The sole performance upgrade was the inclusion of a tachometer.

I understand how H-D gets these contracts, of course. $$$$ and politics. The American way lol.

Westside

Westside

Westside

Westside

Westside

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-16-2012, 08:08 PM   #9
Permit
dcdeuce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
From: Woodinville, WA

I Ride: 2009 Kawasaki Concours 14
That is pretty funny when ive read about them coming in dead last before too. I know the concours 14 police bike had a recall due to the electrical system being inadequate with everything on it however I don't think id want to ride one in the city. It especially (and other ST bikes) can have a lot higher seat height that makes it harder to manuever on hills especially for the short folk.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #10
Shredder
RideSlow2004's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
From: Auburn, WA
Blog Entries: 5

I Ride: Harley
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDave View Post
Most of SPD's motor officers are mediocre riders, at best. And they must annually qualify in the cone-course. Most couldn't do it on anything other than a bike (HD) they can toss over onto the crash bars, then steer like a child's tricycle.
Truly uneducated statement, and glaringly inaccurate on training and qualification.

If made for entertainment purposes only, then please carry on.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #11
Endorsed
 
Joined: Sep 2011
From: Port Orchard WA

I Ride: CB 919
They should ride tards so they can chase perps up stairs, alleyways, and off-road.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #12
Banned Camp
 
Joined: Mar 2007
From: Seattle, WA
Blog Entries: 1

I Ride: BMW K1200GT, KTM 990 Adv, Ducati SF
No, it's a completely educated opinion. I watch them ride the cone course, often. And many, not all but many, appear to be brand new riders. Probably not new riders, but they ride like it. More than a few times I've walked away from the course, shaking my head, thinking "these guys are motor officers?"

And what about my statement is 'glaringly inaccurate?' Do you know these riders? Are you one? Have you cheated and filed down the steering stops so you can turn it even more like a child's trike? Intentionally thrown it over, hard, onto the crash bar, as to bend it, and thus give you more lean on the following turns?

“ Quote:
Originally Posted by RideSlow2004 View Post
Truly uneducated statement, and glaringly inaccurate on training and qualification.

If made for entertainment purposes only, then please carry on.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-17-2012, 09:25 AM   #13
Training Wheels
ebesel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: Kent, WA

I Ride: 2011 Triumph Speed Triple
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDave View Post
And what about my statement is 'glaringly inaccurate?'Do you know these riders? Are you one?
Rideslow might not know them but I do. I worked beside them for 4 years and was even in line to begin training to be a motor officer, before I left the department.

The training they go through is some of the most rigorous in the department. You may be watching the new motor officer candidates go through the cones course, but by the time the officers have completed the training and the weak riders have been weeded out, the riders who remain are very skilled.

Their skills only get better as they go through even more on-going, continuing training...AND...ride 8 hours a day, five days a week, 10 months a year in the real world.

So yeah...I am calling BS on your so-called "educated opinion."

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #14
Endorsed
bazacko's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: North Seattle, WA

I Ride: WR426, CBR F2, ZX6RR
Obviously "percentage of chrome by weight" was the most important criteria.

Why else would they go with a harley?

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #15
Banned Camp
 
Joined: Mar 2007
From: Seattle, WA
Blog Entries: 1

I Ride: BMW K1200GT, KTM 990 Adv, Ducati SF
BS? Based on what? That you applied for training you never had? That you worked beside them for four whole years? I've been working along side cops, in the field, from four different agencies for over 22 years. Your opinion that their training is 'rigorous?'

No, in the last four years I've watched several dozen, maybe over a hundred current motor officers do the cone course, and probably a hundred more newbies, from many agencies, including Seattle. At least a quarter of those were new and experienced motor officers from SPD. Some, maybe even most (I'll be generous here and soften my earlier words) are truly expert riders. Many of them, a significant percentage, are NOT. And they get better with experience? I certainly hope so. I'd hate to think they got worse.

Please, don't try to convince us that all are expert bikers. They're not. Not even close. Just as all cops are not expert marksmen or expert car drivers (have you seen the lots full of racked-up squad cars?) Or even experts at protecting/not violating the civil rights of citizens or experts at understanding that many cell phones now have video capabilities. Are you trying to convince us that the public's view of the general level of police competence is not mirrored in the motor officer ranks?

And based on the recruiting success and outright raiding of talent from other agencies . . . it's very safe to say that a few local police agencies, including SPD, are NOT getting the best and brightest from among the general population.

If they were ALL expert riders, then there's no way in hell they would accept a substandard bike like the HDs. I own a '93 police Kawi that would stomp the balls off the current HDs in just about every performance criteria you can dream up. And the current Kawi C14, BMW R12RT, Honda ST, maybe even the Victory would embarrass my Kawi. EVERY motor officer I've EVER talked bikes with wishes Kawi still made the KZ1000P. They loved that bike.

What may be the most disturbing thing about SPD's latest bad choice of bikes . . . that managed to find a bike even bigger, heavier and slower than the HDs they're replacing. Quite an accomplishment.



“ Quote:
Originally Posted by ebesel View Post
Rideslow might not know them but I do. I worked beside them for 4 years and was even in line to begin training to be a motor officer, before I left the department.

The training they go through is some of the most rigorous in the department. You may be watching the new motor officer candidates go through the cones course, but by the time the officers have completed the training and the weak riders have been weeded out, the riders who remain are very skilled.

Their skills only get better as they go through even more on-going, continuing training...AND...ride 8 hours a day, five days a week, 10 months a year in the real world.

So yeah...I am calling BS on your so-called "educated opinion."

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter

Last edited by FireDave; 10-17-2012 at 04:32 PM..
 
Old 10-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #16
Chicken Strips
infidel's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
From: Hood River, OR

I Ride: 2006 Hayabusa
That sure seems like a miserable bike to ride all day in the city. Doesn't seem like an appropriate machine for the job.

I agree with joshc. Seems like a good supermoto would stop, go, turn, and run down tweakers better than an HD anything. Maybe not with 100lbs of crap bolted to it.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #17
Training Wheels
ebesel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
From: Kent, WA

I Ride: 2011 Triumph Speed Triple
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDave View Post
BS? Based on what? That you applied for training you never had? That you worked beside them for four whole years? I've been working along side cops, in the field, from four different agencies for over 22 years. Your opinion that their training is 'rigorous?'
FYI - I worked as an SPD Officer with those Motor Officesr for 4 years. I have also worked with them as a Seattle Firefighter and Arson Investigator for the last 18 years. (22 years total) I have many friends who are still with SPD...some are even Motor Officers.

I have first hand knowledge of the training and the Motor Officers. I can say with absolute certainty, that you do not have a clue what you are talking about. SPD Motor Officers are all highly trained and skilled riders. Some more skilled than others, but all very good riders.

I have no idea who you are, or what law enforcement agencies/officers you have been working with or around for the last 22 years...but I have personal first-hand knowledge, that goes beyond watching some people ride around some cones...

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter

Last edited by ebesel; 10-17-2012 at 03:49 PM..
 
Old 10-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #18
MB2
Peg Dragger
MB2's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
From: Everett, WA

I Ride: '67 CT90
lol The top speed is 106mph, and they get from 0-60 in right around 6 seconds? That's way worse then I would have expected from a police motorcycle. Guess that helps justify their lack of gear.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #19
Banned Camp
 
Joined: Mar 2007
From: Seattle, WA
Blog Entries: 1

I Ride: BMW K1200GT, KTM 990 Adv, Ducati SF
Well, I'll admit there's a remote possibility that I've been hallucinating for 22 years, but probably not. We disagree, but don't confuse that by telling me I haven't seen what I've seen, heard what I've heard. Questions from officers that immediately make me ask with a raised eyebrow "how long have you been riding?"

Nice guys, most, most interested in getting better, but holy cow . . . maybe I should know the wash-out rate, but I don't. Maybe that knowledge would make me feel better about the quality of the officers put to the street.

We disagree, and there's always a different opinion. Some are more biased, in either direction, than others. I'm a little biased, that bias mostly coming from direct experience with a couple SPD motor officers in particular who are complete assholes AND obtuse enough to think their riding/behavior gave them any ground at all to comment on my riding or behavior. I'm one of very few people who ride nearly every day and in position to observe multiple agencies, while not trying to maintain relationships which oblige me to toe those agencies' company line.

I'm also not willing to shine a turd. I could write a book of bad biking I've seen from SPD motor officers, glaringly bad riding on the street and in training( bad training riding can be forgiven, it's training. But it does, IMO, translate to their street riding); If someone in my group rode like that while I was with them . . . they'd never ride with me again. But what's the point, I think you'd only disagree. And maybe go looking for more shoe polish.


I won't sugar-coat it at all here. You work for Seattle, I don't. I live in Seattle and work elsewhere in public safety. And from my view SPD has been a joke for decades. Their choice of bikes is evidence of this.

[Additional section removed by mod since poster declined to remove off-topic political commentary after requested.] No . . . edited by a mod who can't seem to read accurately or put aside his personal opinions of the messenger.

SFD section removed by request of a mod


“ Quote:
Originally Posted by ebesel View Post
FYI - I worked as an SPD Officer with those Motor Officesr for 4 years. I have also worked with them as a Seattle Firefighter and Arson Investigator for the last 18 years. (22 years total) I have many friends who are still with SPD...some are even Motor Officers.

I have first hand knowledge of the training and the Motor Officers. I can say with absolute certainty, that you do not have a clue what you are talking about. SPD Motor Officers are all highly trained and skilled riders. Some more skilled than others, but all very good riders.

I have no idea who you are, or what law enforcement agencies/officers you have been working with or around for the last 22 years...but I have personal first-hand knowledge, that goes beyond watching some people ride around some cones...

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter

Last edited by FireDave; 10-23-2012 at 09:15 AM..
 
Old 10-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #20
Endorsed
West Seattle Cager's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
From: Seattle, WA

I Ride: 2009 Honda VFR
http://www.northwest-motorcycle.com/index.htm

They say this is the motorcycle training Motor Officers receive with the exception of how to do a traffic stop or shot a firearm while operating a motorcycle. In my opinion the course teaches a lot of riding skills that some motorcyclist could only dream of having.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Reply

  PNW Riders > Washington Riders > Westside


« Fatal Crash | Metal Cutting help »
Thread Tools
Display Modes



/pnwriders @pnwriders PNW Riders RSS Feed