Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #41
Licensed
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: Steilacoom, WA

I Ride: '97 Bandit 1200N, 2008Tiger 1050
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by aftCG View Post
I've got the tourmaster jacket too and it definitely leaks, mostly in the arms. In looking at the construction the gussets used to close out the fore arm zippers are not waterproof fabric and of course the zippers aren't the type to keep water out either.

The pants I have better luck with but they'll get a work out tomorrow. I'm putting in about 500 miles with my son.
Okay I'm going to update this.

A screen door is more waterproof than my tourmaster jacket and pants. My son and I took off east on I-90 this morning in light rain.

The first trickles inside my suit started at about North Bend, with the forearms soaking through and filling my brand new Firstgear waterproof gloves - Indeed the gloves will hold most of a pint of grey/brown water each when water starts running in from above.

When I made a fist the water would pour from the gauntlet and air bubbles would form where it got tight, confirming that the fabric is breathable. Or porous, I've not determined.

Then around milepost 38 I felt water seeping in along my inner thigh causing ice water to pool around my balls.

The zippers along the outside of my calf held out until near the summit of Snoqualmie Pass when they changed rolls to that of a conduit to fill my $250 hiking boots from the top.

Then traffic came to a rolling stop. Seriously, that's what the lighted signs called it. In downtown we just call it shit traffic.

My nuts literally ached as if plunged into a bowl of ice water - I'm sure I'll not see them for at least a week - and it was causing me to seriously need to whiz.

When water finally seeped in around my belly button I ceased to care, even though I was soaked through from there to my crevice.

It took probably 20-30 minutes to reach the end of the slow down (caused by construction which left only one lane). The joy of regaining speed was tempered by the fact that I was getting extremely cold. I pulled into the rest area just before the Cabin Creek exit so I could relieve myself and squeeze water out of my gloves.

My son didn't have any better luck than I did with his brand new Bilt gear.

In most industries the word "waterproof" indicates the product will remain dry inside. I've reached the conclusion that for motorcycle garment manufacturers "waterproof" means the product will work perfectly well even after being completely soaked through. By this measure a Speedo is also waterproof.

I think I need to research this Aerostitch company.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 

Old 10-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #42
Captain Pubic
Juilin's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Aug 2012
From: Seattle

I Ride: Ninja 650 or somebody elses.
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by aftCG View Post
Okay I'm going to update this.

A screen door is more waterproof than my tourmaster jacket and pants. My son and I took off east on I-90 this morning in light rain.

The first trickles inside my suit started at about North Bend, with the forearms soaking through and filling my brand new Firstgear waterproof gloves - Indeed the gloves will hold most of a pint of grey/brown water each when water starts running in from above.

When I made a fist the water would pour from the gauntlet and air bubbles would form where it got tight, confirming that the fabric is breathable. Or porous, I've not determined.

Then around milepost 38 I felt water seeping in along my inner thigh causing ice water to pool around my balls.

The zippers along the outside of my calf held out until near the summit of Snoqualmie Pass when they changed rolls to that of a conduit to fill my $250 hiking boots from the top.

Then traffic came to a rolling stop. Seriously, that's what the lighted signs called it. In downtown we just call it shit traffic.

My nuts literally ached as if plunged into a bowl of ice water - I'm sure I'll not see them for at least a week - and it was causing me to seriously need to whiz.

When water finally seeped in around my belly button I ceased to care, even though I was soaked through from there to my crevice.

It took probably 20-30 minutes to reach the end of the slow down (caused by construction which left only one lane). The joy of regaining speed was tempered by the fact that I was getting extremely cold. I pulled into the rest area just before the Cabin Creek exit so I could relieve myself and squeeze water out of my gloves.

My son didn't have any better luck than I did with his brand new Bilt gear.

In most industries the word "waterproof" indicates the product will remain dry inside. I've reached the conclusion that for motorcycle garment manufacturers "waterproof" means the product will work perfectly well even after being completely soaked through. By this measure a Speedo is also waterproof.

I think I need to research this Aerostitch company.
Very similar to my experience last week hence the motivation for opening this thread. The only gear that's TRULY waterproof in my experience is PVC, old fashioned rubber, and long shoremans's type get-ups. I'll post up my experiences when I finally get something-i'm still learning towards the British Motorcycle Gear stuff.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #43
Endorsed
 
Joined: Jan 2007
From: Sammamish, WA

I Ride: 05 BMW K1200S, 07 MV Agusta F4-1000R
Look, just get the Klim, stop worrying, and go ride.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=626930

The stich suit leaks through.

https://www.google.com/search?q=aerostich+wet+crotch

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #44
Licensed
 
Joined: Mar 2012
From: Steilacoom, WA

I Ride: '97 Bandit 1200N, 2008Tiger 1050
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by ww73 View Post
Look, just get the Klim, stop worrying, and go ride.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=626930

The stich suit leaks through.

https://www.google.com/search?q=aerostich+wet+crotch

Dang, if you just drop "aerostich" from the wet crotch search on google you sure do get a lot more hits.

That Klim gear looks to be the ticket. At least the Traverse is an affordable set up.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #45
Captain Pubic
Juilin's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Aug 2012
From: Seattle

I Ride: Ninja 650 or somebody elses.
600 bucks, sigh.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #46
Endorsed
 
Joined: Jan 2007
From: Sammamish, WA

I Ride: 05 BMW K1200S, 07 MV Agusta F4-1000R
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Juilin View Post
600 bucks, sigh.
I know... but that's the difference between 100% waterproof and almost waterproof. Good news is that you can get the pants and jacket separately over time.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #47
Permit
wells's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
From: Tacoma, WA

I Ride: 04 Buell XB12s, 07 DRZ 400SM, 10 YZ250F, 14 YZ450F, 01 TTR 125, 2011 WR450f, 2010 Ducati 848, 2013 Aprilia SR50
Yes the aerostich stuff will leak if not taken care of or a long ride in a downpour. But the Gore-Tex leather will not. Does not matter how long you are in a downpour, and no need to treat it several times a year. I was reluctant to try it and didnt believe it but stays cool in the summer, blocks all the wind to keep you warm in the winter... Now PVC will keep you dry as well, but if it is warm you will sweat like crazy and end up wet, and you need to stop to put it on... I have been very happy with this suit.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #48
Captain Pubic
Juilin's Avatar
OP
 
Joined: Aug 2012
From: Seattle

I Ride: Ninja 650 or somebody elses.
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by ww73 View Post
I know... but that's the difference between 100% waterproof and almost waterproof. Good news is that you can get the pants and jacket separately over time.
Do you know if the jacket takes a back protector, seems like itll do all the other CE goodies.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-20-2012, 05:44 PM   #49
Endorsed
 
Joined: Jan 2007
From: Sammamish, WA

I Ride: 05 BMW K1200S, 07 MV Agusta F4-1000R
“ Quote:
Originally Posted by Juilin View Post
Do you know if the jacket takes a back protector, seems like itll do all the other CE goodies.
The Traverse is the lowest priced model designed for dual sporting, so by default it does not come w/ armor. They assume dual sporters will have their own armor/flak jacket underneath.

However, you can purchase the back/shoulder/elbow/hip/knee protectors separately, either foam or D3O. More $$$, but can be done.

The more expensive Latitude and Badlands are designed for the street and come with the armor. I bought the Traverse before the other models were available, but after trying them on I prefer the lightweight features of the Traverse.

I've crashed once on dirt wearing the Traverse. Lowsided a right hand turn. Not a single scratch on the gear. Never tested it on the street, knock on wood.

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter
 
Old 10-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #50
Peg Dragger
canyon63's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
From: Olympia, WA

I Ride: a slow bike, slow
Just ordered some Alpinestars WR-2 Gore-Tex Gloves for $64.75 shipped
and some frogg togg pants for $24 just to get through the season.

Probably going this for next winter or possibly this winter.

http://www.fishermansheadquarters.co...rotectivelayer

__________________
Follow PNW Riders on Facebook and Twitter

Last edited by canyon63; 10-20-2012 at 05:57 PM..
 
Reply

  PNW Riders > Washington Riders > Westside


Thread Tools
Display Modes



/pnwriders @pnwriders PNW Riders RSS Feed